Monday 24 August 2009

New Arrivals

Henry, Molly and Badger have four new friends, they are one hen, one bantam hen and two bantam hen chicks. All the bantams are beautiful lavender aracaunas and the hen is a white aracauna. I've been after some aracaunas for about two years as they are the chickens who lay blue eggs which you very occasionally find in Tescos for an extortionate price and of course if I see them I have to buy them however much they cost because they are so lovely to look at. Aracaunas are also very hardy which is handy as it's very bleak here in the winter and you'd need to be a tough bird to withstand it.

So off I went at dusk last night to a wee small holding to collect my birds and instantly felt very bad as all the chickens there were housed in deluxe coops, one even had double glazing! Our coop is small and basic but I suppose it does the job although I think a few alterations might be in line before the winter comes in. After we'd caught the chickens, well, after I'd watched the lovely lady who I bought them from catch them, I trundeled home with them chirping in a box in the boot. It was such a lovely noise and quite funny as every time I hit a bump the hens made a sort of egg laying noise.

Once I got home I then had the tricky job of getting the birds from the box into the coop without any getting out to be lost into the night, this was harder than I thought as they refused to move and due to space restrictions I couldn't really get hold of them properly. However after a while I had them all locked up for the night.

Then this morning the alarm went off. I lay there groaning that it was early and decided to treat myself to 15 more minutes and after a couple of those minutes suddenly remembered the chickens. Oh no! Who's ridiculous idea was it to get chickens? I'd never get a lie in again! I dragged myself out of bed and still in my jammies pulled on a big fleece and wandered outside, all three dogs following and wondering why they weren't getting breakfast yet.

As soon as I opened the coop door out popped all the birds and they started pecking at the food I'd put down while making satisfied chicken noises. I have to say it was such a nice noise and a lovely sight to finally have chickens here that it was very worth while loosing that exra 15 minutes in my bed.

I shall of course report on our first egg.

2 comments:

MBNAD woman said...

Aha. Something for Badger to herd ;-)

Now that he's got rosettes, he'll need to get a job.

Henry the Leaphound said...

I know a chef with rosettes - think he probably had to work a bit harder for his though!