Friday 17 October 2008

Yorkshire Puddings

There is a sense of humour difference in our house today.

Yesterday we visited Other Half's Mum and Dad for dinner, we took the dogs with us and when we arrived Other Half went out to chat with his Dad while he finished cleaning his car and I had a cup of tea with his Mum and the dogs in the living room.

Other Half's son was there too so there were people spread out all over the house and driveway. Henry and Molly aren't the best at coming back if they get off the lead and because everyone was all over the place the dogs were continually pacing about trying to round everyone up which was causing me quite a bit of stress as those outside kept coming in and out and leaving doors ajar which could mean an escape attempt.

After about half an hour I decided to give Henry and Molly their dinner in an attempt to get them settled and stop driving me mad with the pacing. I fed them in the kitchen and had to supervise as there were various stages of a roast dinner about the worktops and of course that is much tastier than dog food.

For some reason Molly decided to raid Henry's bowl of food, Henry then moved round and I tried to get Molly back to her bowl, somewhere in the middle of this incedent Henry managed to produce a yorkshire pudding. It honestly just appeared in his mouth - ok there were a whole load of them sitting on the worktop just out of the oven but I really didn't see him jump up and take one.

I had a momentary panic, and decided to confess my dogs sins straight away as otherwise Other Half's Mum would think I was the yorkshire pudding rustler. I called her in and hoped I wouldn't get too told off for badly training my dogs and she immediately started to laugh saying that not just one yorkshire pud had gone but six! It was really funny because at no time had Henry been out of our sight, so how on earth he had managed to steal six yorkshire puddings and still continue to pace around the house we will never know but I am impressed with his tactics as I'd have thought that faced with a tray of warm yorkshire puddings straight out of the oven and for the taking he would have scoffed the lot at once but he must have been pacing about the living room, going past the kitching door and thinking 'I'll just slip in there and grab another one of those puds and they'll never notice'.

Stealth and skill, what a dog!

Other Half didn't see the funny side, but then again he is fairly new to life with a young Saluki Greyhound and there will be much more to come. Lucky he dosen't know that....

No comments: