Wednesday 1 October 2008

False Teeth and Tomatoes

During our stay at Mum and Dads both dogs had a great time. They had the run of the house and garden and my Mum is a real softy, giving them lots of treats and titbits which both dogs soon cottoned on to.

Henry's house training, or rather lack of it was a big worry though. I really didn't want him weeing in my parents house so I decided that the dogs would sleep in my bedroom with me. On the first night, every available floorspace in our room that wasn't covered by either furniture or dog beds was covered with big thick decorating dust sheets, just in case.

On the first night Henry got me up at 4.30am to go out for a wee. Amazing. Although it was 4.30am that was of small importance to the fact that he had actually woken me up to go out and by the end of the visit we had managed to get this wakening time to 7.30 am oh yee haa!

Also during the visit Henry didn't have one single accident, not one. Amazing. So what was so good about my parents house that wasn't in our house, I wracked my brains and came up with a big zero.

Of course food came into the picture again, this time we found out how much Henry likes salad. Whilst preparing a salad he would jump up and steal things from the work surface every time my Mum turned her back. He took a tomato here, a radish there, a couple of boiled eggs and then a whole cucumber disappeared. Mum luckily saw the funny side but ended up having to prepare food high up on top of the grill to the cooker - luckily Mum is very tall.

Then one night not long after we had gone to bed I realised I'd left the bedroom door adjar and that Henry had slunk out of the room. This was instantly followed by the realisation that there was some sort of kerrfuffle going on around the house.

I could hear Henry and also my Mum moving about and I got up to discover that Henry was running about the house with my Mum's false teeth in his mouth! Every time my Mum got near him he would spring away with the teeth parts of the false teeth on the outside of his mouth making the whole thing even more comical. It took the two of us to catch him which made it all the funnier.

The next day Henry came proudly boucing into the kitchen from the garden with a half eaten cucumber that had obviously been buried and dug up, thank goodness he didn't manage to get outside with the teeth otherwise we'd have been digging up the garden in the middle of the night to try and find them...

No comments: