Tuesday 19 January 2010

Free and Simple Pleasures

Inspired (stolen) from MBNAD's blog here are my top ten free and simple pleasures.
1. Laying in bed first thing in the morning or last thing at night and listening to the sheer and utter silence here. It reminds me of when I used to wake up on my first morning on holiday in Scotland and feeling that exquisite peacefulness and total escape that only this place can have.

2. Lounging on a comfy sofa reading a book, magazine or watching telly with a dog curled into you, bliss.

3. Laughing at and with your dogs, especially when they know they are being funny and they are grinning at you.

4. Radio 4. All of it, except the comedy in the evenings with the exception of Count Arthur Strong.

5. The expectation and running around getting the house ready and making up rooms for people to come and stay.

6.Realising how much I love my collie dog, even though I never expected to have a third dog.

7. Spending an afternoon in the garden doing non back breaking stuff with Radio 4 on and hearing the birds.

8. Sitting outside in the balminess of a summer evening.

9. Absolutlely loving my car when I've spent half a day cleaning and polishing it and realising how great it is depsite it's age.

10. Being happy with me.

There you go, that lot made me feel good just typing it. I think I could go on and on though as there are more than 10 free and simple pleasures to life, like getting all the laundry washed and ironed, espeically if it's been hanging on the line, going for long walks with the dogs, going for a trip back south to see my folks, growing plants, making compost, sweeping paths in the garden, listening to my chickens clucking when they are happy, basking in the sunshine, being warm and toasty indoors when its blowing and rainy outside, and probably one of the very best, looking at dogs layig about exhausted after they've had a long happy walk.

2 comments:

MBNAD woman said...

Smashing post.

Count Arthur Strong. Ohhhh noooo as Ruth (The Archers) would say! The 6:30 slot is very variable isn't it? Love The News Quiz, ISIHAC and Old Harry's Game but rubbish like the Sneakypeaks makes me want to throw something at the Radio. I worry that I may be getting old enough to enjoy Money Box Live.

And, of course, life is not complete without a dog to keep you company.

Mad x

Henry the Leaphound said...

Thanks for the inspiration, it was a post that made me feel very happy while typing it. I've rather given up on Radio 4 past 5pm. By that time in the day I'll have heard the news a good 8 times and really can't be doing with the humour that isn't funny. Apart from that I love the Archers, any historical play, Last Word, Making History, and just about everything else, it's just a continuing education in life that never or rarely gets boring.