Thursday 31 July 2008

Off to the Vets

We got the new dog on Sunday and on Monday I took him along to our vets to be checked out and chipped.

I opened the back of my car and he leaped in, much higher than he needed to and nearly bashed his head on the roof of the boot! As we drove to the vets he sat bolt upright and very regally in the boot, looking around him and taking everything in. It apepared he seemed to like going in the car which was great.

On arriving at the vets I walked to the back of the car, started opening the tailgate and before I knew what hit me a dog was sitting over my face on my shoulders! He had leaped out at such a speed that I hadn't even finished opening the tailgate and how he was managing to balance almost on my head I really didn't know.

I managed to get him onto the ground and got some very odd looks from other people parking their cars.

The vet was really concerned about his weight, he really was skinny, and we agreed that I'd bring him in once a week to be weighed until he reached a healthy weight. On his first visit he weighed under 18 kilos and he should have been between 25 and 28 kilos. She then went through all the flea and worming treatments that I'd have to give him and when she did the micro chip she asked what his name would be and I had to answer that I didn't know.

I always thought my next dog would be called FergusII after all FergusI was a great dog and in my opinion he had a great name but Other Half said this would be wrong and now I was on the spot I knew he was right as the dog wasn't Fergus at all. The vet let me decide and let her know the next time we were in so I was under pressure to get thinking.

One thing I asked was if it was ok to give the dog a bath as he was still very smellly and she said it was fine, oh yeee ha!

Strangely the dog seemed to like the vets, it may have been because everybody who saw him immediately went 'awww, look at him, poor thing. What happened?' after which the dog got allot of fuss and a couple of people including the vet gave him treats so of course he thought this was great.

It was a bit difficult being out in public with him though as his legs were completely bald and his body so skinny it was hard to see how he managed to stand up. The skin on his legs and lower body was also covered in lots of red sores like spots and he looked dreadfull poor chap. The worst thing was the thought that people were thinking it was me who had let him get into this state.

We then went home and I started administering the various deadly potions from the vets which I hoped would not have any dire effects on the rear end of the dog while I tried hard to think of a name for him.

No comments: