Sunday 27 July 2008

Fergus - The Begining

This is Henry's story. He is a beautiful Saluki cross Greyhound with mad stripes and an even madder brain. He moves very fast and eats even faster, he is my friend, my personal security center and he makes me laugh every day.

Henry's story wouldn't be complete without starting at the begining before Henry came about. Henry was preceded by Fergus, mad, beautiful, funny and my very best friend. He was also a Saluki cross Greyhound and he is the reason I have Henry.

I got Fergus from a rescue center in Kent. He had been badly abused, burnt with ciggarettes, kicked, starved and generally not treated well. I was told he would be a cruely case if they could find the previous owners but of course they never did. But Fergus had his revenge, he came to live with me and my ex in a lovely country house in the Kentish countryside, he had a giant garden to make his own running track, his own 4x4 to cruise around in and a lifelong mate in Bonnie the Gorgeous Greyhound. Fergus had a better life than the scum that ill-treated him and he deserved it.

14 years on and life had moved on. Fergus, Bonnie and I had moved to Scotland, leaving behind the old life and starting afresh. Bonnie had died in 2007 at the grand age of almost 15 from simply wearing out and Ferg went on another 18 months finally wearing out last November after a summer spent laying in the sun with his new mate Molly the Mad Greyhound in our lovely cottage in the hills. He loved life and terrorised all who tried to tame him and make him a 'normal' dog. For three weeks after he died I didn't laugh at all.....

No comments: