Friday 6 November 2009

Chicken Feed

Yesterday while cleaning out the chicken house I noticed Henry was being unusually quiet. Whenever I do anything with the chickens they tend to hang around me like a big chicken gang which Henry really wants to join.

After half an hour I went back into the garden to do something else and saw Henry emerge from the store where the sack of chicken corn is kept. What made him look so suspicious was that he was trying to keep his mouth very still while little bits of corn fell out the sides! He honestly looked like a wee boy who had been caught eating sweets and was trying to look like he wasn't eating anything. When I went into the store he'd tucked in to about an eighth of a sack.

Now why on earth would a dog want to eat chicken feed? I do feed him honest, even though he is a skinny dog, but chicken feed? I just can't see anything remotely attractive in it for a dog apart from the fact that the chickens eat it so therefore Henry wants it.

What I do know is that this is going to make for some interesting poop scooping later...

1 comment:

MBNAD woman said...

The late lamented trollop, Bella, would steal anything and try to look casual. She had perfected a way of sauntering past the object of desire and then whip her head back, grab the tasty item and wander off with it concealed in her long soft jowls. She grabbed a Yorkshire pud when I was trying to position them decoratively around the beef. There were 12 and now there are 11. How can that be. The stolen bagel was too big to hide and stuck out the side. She didn't know it and was still trying to look innocent.
And then there was the bag of "rapid growth kitten food". Eight weeks supply downed in about 35 seconds. I expected her to throw the whole lot up but she was just very thirsty for 2 days.
Good on you, Henry. And remember to look cool while you're at it!