Thursday 16 April 2009

Visiting Part2

Sorry I'm a bit behind with my blogging, life has sped up a little thanks to the weather at last allowing me to get out into the garden and finally start the jobs that should have been done at the begining of spring - it is I suppose technically the begining of spring here but it feels like we should be half way to summer....

Anyway, the dogs and me had such a great time in Kent. The difference in the weather down there was amazing, it was mid summer own there compared to Scotland and the dogs spent as much time as possible basking in the sunshine, Molly has been down several times now and always makes a beeline for the lawn and lays in front of Mum and Dad's caravan enjoying the reflective rays until she is so hot she can't move.

Badger didn't really understand the heat. He was born in the middle of September and has only known the winter so he spent quite allot of time underneath the caravan in the shade. Henry decided that life was too short to lay around and spent many hours springing around the garden, leaping over bushes, ducking at high speed under apple trees and perfecting hurdling over the carefully erected fence around my Dad's newly sewn vegegables.

Henry also decided that he'd get all the other dogs in the neighbourhood going several times a day, every day. He would stand in the middle of the garden and bark. Then bark again. And again until he got a reply. This then got other dogs in other gardens barking until every dog around and beyond ws barking and Henry would come into the kitchen looking very proud of his work. Strangley the whippet cross we had when I was a child used to do exactly the same thing!

We did have a bit of a stress. Badger decided suddenly to attack any moving vehicle along the road while we were out walking. Oddly enough the first time this happened I was telling my Mum about Badger's brother who does the same thing along the lane to the farm when Badger suddenly swung out at a van, very nearly pulling Dad into the road at the same time. We all laughed at this as it was quite a funny coincidence but after it had happened several times in a few hundred yards we realised it was a potentially fatal pastime so I had to spend quite a bit of time walking Bader up and down the road trying to calm him down whilst he did his mad Collie stare at every oncoming vehicle and lurched out to kill it as it passed.

I managed to get him sorted out after several attempts but then it was time to come home so I'll have to take him to a town to see if it worked or not.

All too soon our visit was over and I had the long haul back home, I tried very hard to bring the sunshine with me but unfortunately it didn't want to come until this week. However I did manage not to give in and visit the shopping mecca Bluewater or Lakeside and so came back to Scotland with nothing but homemade sandwiches and cake from Mum for the journey - a financial miracle!

No comments: