Sunday 3 August 2008

I'm Henry the 8th I am I am

By now we'd had the new dog five days. He still didn't have a name and he still wasn't housetrained. Ok I didn't expect him to be housetrained by now but he really should have a name.

I had decided against FergusII as this dog just was Fergus and it seemed wrong to Fergus to semi erase him by giving his name to another dog. But that left me with a problem because for years I'd always said I'd call my next dog FergsII, so I was on the hunt for another name.

I decided to look up baby naming websites as I thought this was as good a place as any to get a name but have you seen how many names are out there? It was impossible, espcecially as the dog was holding back on his personality due to so much happening to him in a week, although he was showing slight signs of the madness attached to all the dogs I've had.

There were lots of things to consider in choosing the dogs name, would it be badly out of fashion in a few years? Would I always have to explain why I called him what I did? Would I always have to spell it at the vets, groomers etc? Would it sound ridiculous being shouted out loud in public?

So many dilemas and without a single idea.

I decided to start at A and work my way through the alphabet until somthing hit me.

To start with I tried Fergus. This only proved to make Molly come tearing up to me looking for Fergus. Other half suggested Taxi in response to the calling out loud in public problem, but he wasn't a taxi he was a dog! I quite fancied Saluk as he is a half (or more Saluki) but Other Half said that was just silly. So again I was stuck.

Then a trailer for the BBC series The Tudors came on tv. I'm really into history and while Jonathan Rhys Myers was breifly on the screen it came to me in a flash. Henry the 8th had ginger hair. The new dog has ginger fur (with stripes which I'm sure Henry the 8th didn't have but you never know) and I'm really into history so there it was.

I went out into the garden with the dog and as he wandered around I called Henry and he came bombing up to me so the decision had been made, Henry was here. Henry the Leaphound was yet to make himself apparent.

No comments: